Just in case you hadn’t noticed, it’s strawberry season. They’re everywhere. Farmers markets are overflowing and street corners are full of baskets and flats. And there’s really not an easier fruit to eat…especially for families. In the spirit of the season, I have a few suggestions on how to enjoy these luscious red fruits. Some are healthy, some not so much. Enjoy!
- On cereal. Who needs sweetened cereal with a sliced strawberry or two in the bowl?
- In a smoothie. Add a frozen banana, your milk of choice (cows, soy, almond, etc.), some kale or spinach, a bit of honey and you have instant pick me up.
- On salad. Wash up some spinach and add some sliced strawberries, walnuts, and a raspberry vinaigrette.
- In a pie. Not only is it strawberry season, but also rhubarb. Strawberry rhubarb pie. Whip up a pie crust in your food processor or buy a non-trans fat containing crust at your local store. Mix the strawberries and rhubarb with some sugar, corn starch, and lemon juice and enjoy! If a pie seems too daunting, try a crumble or crisp. No dough required, but just as yummy.
- Strawberry ice cream. There are a couple of ways you can go with this idea. Take some vanilla or chocolate ice cream and place a couple of strawberries on top. Or, make your own strawberry ice cream. We’ll be trying it this weekend!
For recipes, simply Google any of the above ideas and you’ll find more information than you probably wanted. There are hundreds of other things to do with strawberries, as well. Experiment, explore, or simply pop one in your mouth!